Hoarding Industry Experience:
Hoarding Unpacked informs its work by continually drawing on a mix of current industry information and case examples gathered during the facilitators work in this specialised sector:
- direct in-home support work sustaining hoarding effected tenancies
- facilitating a hoarders support group ‘Buried in Treasures’
- donation of time in the community to assist family members in need addressing hoarding behaviours
- hoarding consultant for government agencies
- developer of this course material and trainer in this specialised field
Maire Joy Barron has been working in the welfare field for 22yrs and holds a degree in Social Sciences Majoring in Counseling.
I am an optimistic, energetic and resourceful human services worker driven by an appreciation for individual potential, empowerment, strong relationships with the people accessing my services. My motivation for my work is driven by my belief in people’s potential for change, informed by trauma informed practice and delivered with evidenced based approaches.’
Hoarding Unpacked Previously Koru Therapies –
2012 – Business Owner, Training Developer, Facilitator and Consultant
Hoarding Unpacked AKA Effective Approaches to Hoarding Behaviours training program – the development and ongoing revision of this program, and the delivery of this program across Australia and New Zealand.
Consultant with a local Government Services. Local council and child safety services on hoarding behaviour cases.
The Co-facilitated a 12 week Buried in Treasures Support Group – supporting people living with hoarding behaviours to make changes.
Social Futures –
2014 – 2019
Youth counsellor (complex trauma, LGBTQI specific support, AOD, etc) for 10 – 24 yr olds in the Youth and Family Relationships Program and at Headspace Lismore. Developed and facilitated a Healthy Relationships Programs in schools and also promotion of positive sexual health to young people at festivals
Three month position Event Coordination: the 2016 Annual Community Sector Ball and Awards Night –responsible for organising sponsorship, branding, media and advertising,entertainment, award nomination, ticket sales, catering, event set up, etc.
Two years working front line in the Specialist Homelessness Services – capacity building and supporting recovery for the ongoing impacts of past and current complex trauma. Budgeting and financial information, referrals, and advocacy, information on tenancies and general realestate info, goal setting, case management, crisis support. Facilitating the organisation’s Wellbeing Committee. Delivering Hoarding and Squalor workshops for the community.
North Coast Community Housing Company –
Lismore (Grafton to Tweed Heads)2011 – 2014
A specialist position working with families and individuals aimed at building capacity to sustain tenancies. Hoarding, AOD, mental health, DV, anger management, mediation, budgeting etc.Producing educational materials and industry updates to deliver in house and also into the community. Production of educational materials, and input into policy and procedures.
Mission Australia –
Lismore (Grafton to Tweed Heads)2009 – 2011
North Coast Post Release Support Program – supporting and case working Juvenile Justice Clients on release from detention, working within Aboriginal communities and forming strong agency partnerships across the region
Men and Family Centre–
Facilitating Keeping Cool work shops to youth – this is an educational program around conflict management and self-awareness.
Community Connections North Coast –
Coordinator of Youth Housing @Nimbin , Youth Support Worker and Case Manager, Co-ordinator of the Nimbin Youth Club, Nimbin Youth Connections Program Organiser
Nimbin Neighbourhood Centre –
Safe Community Project Co-ordinator– Production of educational materials with youth involvement and implementation and delivery of educational workshops at the local school
Northern Rivers Area Health Service –
Youth Health Education Officer –Production of sexual health educational materials with youth involvement and implementation and delivery of educational workshops at the local school
SHEACH Consultancy Pty Ltd –
Lismore 2005 Youth Mentor/support worker – high needs out of home care residential work
Lismore 2004 Youth Mentor/Support worker – high needs out of home care residential work
Jungle Patrol –
Nimbin 2003 Street Beat Worker.Syringe collection, youth club support, etc
Nimbin 2001 Teaching and coordinating an outreach – Get Skilled Certificate 1 in Clothing Production
Other work – Cafe and bar work, shop and office work (including ordering stock, employment of workers, Internet selling, banking), event organizing, nursery hand, volunteering at local youth agencies.
- Southern Cross University – Bachelor of Social Science Majoring in Counselling 2012
- Certificate 4 in Youth Welfare TAFE
- Cert 4 Training and Assessment – enrolled
- Advanced Narrative Therapy; Centre for Community Welfare Training
- Narrative Therapy Dulwich Centre – One week Intensive Training Course L1
- Understanding & Responding to Young Peoples Sexual Behaviours
- Mental Health in Children and Young People – Sal Consulting
- Beyond Developmental Trauma – Sal Consulting
- Trauma Informed Practice – in the Specialist Homelessness Sector – ASCA – Adults Surviving Child Abuse
- White Ribbon – Understanding Men’s Violence Against Women
- Men’s Resource Centre, Working with People to End Violence and Abuse, part one.
- Domestic Violence Alert Response Training
- NSW Domestic Violence Core Training
- Recognise and respond appropriately to D&FV – Lifeline
- Boundaries Core Issues – conducted by ‘Women Up North’
- Artistry of Facilitation
- Designing and Managing Community Based Projects
- Aboriginal Case Management Training
- Tracks from the Past – Aboriginal Attachment and Bonding Awareness Day
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health Assessment of Aboriginal Clients – Indigenous Psychological Services
- Trauma Informed Care and Practice – An Indigenous Approach – We Al-Li
- Dadirri: Ancient Aboriginal Mindfulness Traditions – We Al-Li
- Working with Challenging Behaviours
- Fighting Fair – Mediation and Conflict resolution training
- Difficult but Necessary Conversations
- Youth Mental Health First Aid
- General Mental Health First Aid
- Mental Health Effecting Older People and Their Carers
- Beyond Blue Depression awareness course
- Facilitation Training for Keeping Them Safe
- COPMI – online training – Children of Parents with a Mental Illness
- Smart – online training – Strategies or Managing Abuse Related Trauma
- Working with Offenders Post-Release; Sydney Institute of Criminology
- Keeping Them Safe training x 2 days 16A etc; ACE
- Rock and Water Training
- First Aid Certificate
- Safe Home Visiting Practices
- SMART Recovery facilitation Training
- Effective Business Writing Skills
- Smart (SAAP)data entry
- Macsims data entry
- Tackling Tobacco – Working with youth to end tobacco smoking
- Certificate 4 Clothing Design and Production TAFE
- Supporting community family members to addressing hoarding behaviours within their family.
- Being the MC microphone chick at various community events and fundraisers – ongoing.
- Past membership of the following committees; CDAT (Community Drug Action Team), NCDA (Nimbin Community Development Association) Jungle Patrol and the Domestic Violence Liaison Committee.
- Shared the co-ordination of the Nimbin markets, booking stalls and collecting money and making banners etc, during membership with the NCDA committee.
- Coordinated the ‘In Our Hands’ Re-Vamp Nimbin Youth Club project, including meetings, advertising, fund raising, public relations and letter writing. This project saw the repainting/murals of the local youth club and the purchasing of a sewing machine, furniture and games.
- Kept the Nimbin Youth Club open in between funding allocations.
- Big Heart film project. Worked as a mentor and assisted in two week long road trips with 60 youth attending, the youth put together a stage production in Moree which was then taken to Sydney to the Parliament house.
I acknowledge the place where I live and work as Bundjalung country, the traditional lands of the Bundjalung people